Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Workshop Wednesday With Live*Lovely

Today marks another installment of my weekly blog series titled Workshop Wednesday. Each Wednesday will feature either a tutorial by yours truly or another talented artist or artisan, a snapshot of an artist's creative process, or a peek into their creative space. This week's Workshop Wednesday features a tutorial by Live*Lovely Dress Shop.

How to make a cute scarf for your hair

This is a great project because not only is it a great accessory to wear, it also helps you use up some of those awkward scraps you sometimes wind up with after sewing.

You’ll need:

A pretty scrap of fabric big enough to cut into a 32” by 6” rectangle
A tape measure
Scissors
A sewing machine and thread
An iron and ironing board

Step 1.
Cut your fabric into a rectangle measuring 6” by 32”. (This fits the average size noggin, but just to be sure you could use your tape measure to measure the circumference of your head where you would wear the scarf and then add a total of 8 ½ inches to that—4 for each side to tie, plus seam allowance.)


Step 2.
Fold the fabric in half right side to right side across the short end so it’s a long skinny rectangle, with the back of the fabric out.


Step 3.
Sew the edges together along one short side and the long side opposite the fold. Leave a small seam allowance (¼”) so there isn’t a ton of bunching later. STOP before you totally close it. [insert 04] You need to leave one side open so you can turn it inside out. Definitely have zoned out and sewed the whole thing before. As my grandmother used to say, “As you sew, so shall you rip.” : )


Step 4.
Turn it inside out so you can see the pretty side of the fabric.




Step 5.
Now you will have a frumpy and frayed looking hairscarf.


You need to iron it! Start ironing at the closed end.


When you get to the other end, turn the frayed edges under about ¼”. Then iron them that way so they will stay while you sew it closed.

Step 6.
Sew the turned under edges together.


Tada! A new hairscarf for you. I make at least one of these for just about every dress I sew.



I love that when you just tie it in a regular knot I winds up looking like a bow. I haven’t found the right outfit to go with it to wear the bow in front yet, but I think it could be really cute!



Be sure to check out some of the work in Live*Lovely's Etsy shop! Here are a few of her creations.




If you're interested in being a part of future Workshop Wednesdays, please feel free to convo me in my Etsy shop or comment on this post. Have a great day!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Great tutorial! I have tons of great fabric that will look perfect for hair scarves. I think I'll get starte this weekend! Thank you for posting this!

Unknown said...

I love this feature!! It is done so well. And this is a great idea..

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

What a fun idea to do with when you make a dress, I love it! I'll be linking.