Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Must-Have

Today marks another installment of my Monday blog series titled Monday Must-Have. Each Monday I will feature a fellow talented Etsian and their phenomenal work. Each featured artist will have their own online Etsy shop where you can peruse and admire their one-of-a-kind body of work. Hopefully you will find new favorite artists and artisans whose work you MUST HAVE. :)

Today's featured artist is Joanna of Joanna's Photography.


• Who are you (actual name/and or shop name)?

My name is Joanna Kapica. And I am owner of www.JoannasPhotography.etsy.com store.
I also have store on 1000markets: www.JoannasPhotography.1000markets.com

• What do you create?

Photography is my main field of interest. I take photographs mainly of nature. I like to capture details of plants and flowers. Show their texture, colors and forms.
My macro photography also covers subjects like household items, that photographed at specific angles can give very interesting effects.

• Where are you located?

I live and create in Raleigh, NC. Most of my photographs are taken also in this area.

• When did you start creating?

There was always something I liked to create. It started with knitting in age of about 7. I still knit, in my free time. I have done some drawing in high school.
Photography was something that came later. I always wanted to explore it more, but for a long time I did not have a camera myself (sometimes I borrowed my parents simple point and shoot film camera). And after I had purchased my first camera I started to discover that it really brings me a great amount of satisfaction to take and process pictures. And this is how it started, about 5 years ago.
From then on I just kept trying different ways and learned different techniques. I still learn. There is always something new, something I can learn and apply to my style.

• Why did you choose your shop name?

My shop name simply was created by combining my first name and the word photography. The store was created for my photography, so this way it reflects my main interest and me as an owner. Also- I think it’s easy to remember.

• What inspires you?

I find my inspiration in almost everything around me. All colors and shapes in nature attract my attention. Shapes of every day used items attract me for their texture and form.

• What is the most time consuming part of your craft?

I think the post processing is the most time consuming part. I like to take a photo and usually I have a few versions of its final look. I give myself time to think of what would look the best. So sometimes it takes me even a few days to try to apply specific editing to get the final and most satisfying look to me.

• What is your most popular item that you create (and why do you think it is so popular)?

One of the most popular items in my store is the print “Big Big World”. It’s a photograph taken during my vacation at the Outer Banks in NC. This image has a pretty specific meaning to me. Taken just before big storm came, when the sky was covered with heavy dark blue clouds, it shows how fragile a human being can be against the forces of nature. It is just my interpretation.
I have heard different from some people, who have seen this image.


• How do you acquire new clients?

I try to advertise my shop through Etsy- by participating in forums, creating treasuries. I post on Twitter about any new listings, re-listings, etc. I also use my blog (www.joannaphotography.wordpress.com) and facebook to advertise my work.
I try to participate in other type of venues, like photo exhibition and contest, which one of the latest I have submitted my work was an event called “Postcards From the Edge
A Benefit for Visual AIDS”. It was an event where I donated one of my pieces to be shown and sold. All proceeds from this benefit will support Visual AIDS (more info on their website: http://www.thebody.com/visualaids/index.html)

• Is there anything else you'd like to share?

I would like to thank you, Ruth for this nice opportunity to introduce myself and share some of my thoughts.


Be sure to check out Coco's shop! If you're interested in being featured in future Monday Must-Have segments, please feel free to convo me in my Etsy shop or email me. Have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

Allie said...

Thank you so much, Joanna and Ruth for this interview. "Big Big World" has always been one of my favorites too! Just incredible!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful feature. I LOVE Joanna's photography and it was great getting to know her a little!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Ruth, for this feature-very nice Monday morning surprise for me :)))

Allie and April's Originals- I really appreciate your sweet comments!

Julie B said...

I enjoy Joanna's work, so it is nice to have a behind-the-scene look at her and her business.