Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday Must-Have

Today marks a new installment of my Monday blog series titled Monday Must-Have. Each Monday I will feature a fellow talented Etsian and his or her phenomenal work. Each featured artist will have their own online Etsy shop where you can peruse and admire their one-of-a-kind body of work. Hopefully you will find new favorite artists and artisans whose work you MUST HAVE. :)

Today's featured artist is Tracey Gurley of Tracey Gurley Original Art. I asked her a few questions and here's what she had to say.

Who are you (actual name/and or shop name)?

Tracey Gurley / Tracey Gurley Original Art / www.traceygurley.etsy.com

What do you create?

I paint landscapes, still lifes, flowers, fruit & veggies mainly. I may expand on that in the very near future.

Where are you located?

I have a studio in my home in Raleigh, NC.

When did you start creating?

I have always been creating something ever since I was a small child. I think it really started when I would dig clay out of the creek in my back yard and scupt bowls with it. I would set them out in the sun to dry and then I would paint them. I remember even finding big rocks to paint on too. When I was in school though, I was classically trained on the piano and violin, but I still loved visual art. When my daughter turned 2 and started preschool, I decided to follow my dream. I started taking art lessons 8 years ago and haven't looked back. I took my first art lesson at Sertoma Art Center in Raleigh and now I teach acrylic painting there.

What inspires you?

My inspiration comes from a lot of things. I take notice of all of the textures and colors that surround all of us everyday. Nature is a beautiful palette.


What is the most time consuming part of your art/craft?

It's hard to decide the most time consuming part, because time flies when you're having fun.

What's your next project going to be?

My next project is going to be painting ACEOs. ACEO stands for "Art Cards, Editions, and Originals." They are 2.5" x 3.5" little works of art that are fun to collect and trade.

What types of things do you do to turn first time buyers into repeat clients?

I offer a 10% discout to repeat buyers.

What do you do when you are not creating?

When I'm not creating, I love spending time with my husband and daugher. In the summer, you can find us jetskiing out on Falls Lake.

Is there anything else you'd like to share?

There is something magical about painting - the way the colors go on the canvas, the way it feels, the experience to create something, that just feeds my soul.


You can also find Tracey and her work on her blog and her main website. Have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

Regina Moore said...

Beautiful work! Great feature!

Anonymous said...

Wow...love them all - the third painting is absolutely gorgeous!!
Wonderful work!

Cthings said...

Great interview and she does wonderful artwork!

Bern said...

Tracey is just awesome!