Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wood Block Original Paintings

I have taken a liking to mandalas.

What is a mandala, you ask? The word "mandala" is from the classical Indian language of Sanskrit. Loosely translated to mean "circle," a mandala is far more than a simple shape. It represents wholeness, and can be seen as a model for the organizational structure of life itself--a cosmic diagram that reminds us of our relation to the infinite, the world that extends both beyond and within our bodies and minds.

I'm in love with the symmetry of mandalas! They have inspired me to start a new project, as if I didn't already have enough projects going on at one time. :) In the past I've only used acrylic paints for my hand-painted pendant necklaces, but now I'm using them for my new wood block original painting mandala series.

Here's the first piece in the series, titled Fiery Sun.
This original acrylic painting was created on a gessoed cradled birch plywood panel. It then received a gloss varnish finish. The piece is 6x6 inches (15.24x15.24 cm) with a depth of 1.56 inches (3.96 cm). The depth of this piece allows it to stand alone on a shelf or mantle with no additional support. A hanger has been installed on the back to allow for immediate hanging if desired.

You can find more images of this piece here in my Etsy shop. I'm really looking forward to this series. Keep an eye out here and in my Etsy shop for new pieces.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently became interested in mandalas - this piece that you created is gorgeous....you've inspired me!

erin, maker of chimes said...

Very pretty! If you could something a little heavier to paint on you could do paper weights, book ends... and who knows what else!

Diane said...

WOW...This is stunning! Beautiful work!

Rosebud Collection said...

What an interesting topic..You did a wonderful job..lovely.

Almay Alday said...

Those are awesome!

Melissa said...

great blog :) wonderful works!