Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday Must-Have - jaC Jewelry


Today marks the third installment of my new Monday blog series titled Monday Must-Have. Each Monday I will feature a fellow talented Etsian and their phenomenal work. Each featured artist will have their own online Etsy shop where you can peruse and admire their one-of-a-kind body of work. Hopefully you will find new favorite artists and artisans whose work you MUST HAVE. :)

Today's featured artist is Janna of jaC Jewelry.

Who are you (actual name/and or shop name)?


My real name is Janna, and I’m a graduate student when I’m not making jewelry. My shop name is jaC Jewelry.

What do you create?

I create fun, customized and one-of-a-kind jewelry using gems and semi-precious stones, freshwater pearls, sterling silver, and gold-plated and brass findings. I also create custom bridal jewelry! You can find my designs in my Etsy shop at www.jacjewelry.etsy.com.

Where are you located?


I live in Durham, NC.

When did you start creating?


I have always been crafty, but did not start designing jewelry until two years ago. In 2006, while on vacation visiting family, I went to a bead store with my aunt, and walked out of there with a big bag of beads. I came home and made my first piece from those beads immediately. I made a few more pieces after that, but did not get absolutely addicted to jewelry-making until two years ago. I don't plan on stopping any time soon!

Why did you choose your shop name?


My husband and I came up with the name when I first got the idea to sell my jewelry. It is a combination of my initials and a short and sweet name that everyone will remember!

What is your most popular item that you create (and why do you think it is so popular)?


My pieces are one-of-a-kind, but once in a while I get requests to make designs similar to those that I have sold. The Red Petals Necklace - Coral and Bali Vermeil Necklace is one of them:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12217164

The original is one of the very first pieces I ever made, and I, my friends and my customers consider it my signature piece. I think it is so popular because the red petal-shaped coral and gold-plated beads combination is so striking, and the necklace instantly brightens any outfit!

How do you acquire new clients?


I acquire new clients by placing ads on various blogs, offering samples of my work and participating in giveaways. I also have trunk shows and host home parties. Additionally, existing customers refer their friends to me directly, or to my Etsy shop.

What do you do when you are not creating?


I do my homework. Oh wait, that's what I SHOULD be doing when I am not creating!

Is there anything else you'd like to share?


I want to thank Ruth for this wonderful opportunity to be featured, and a thank you to the readers for checking out my Etsy shop! I look forward to making a jaC creation for you!

For giveaway opportunities, please visit my personal website at http://www.jacjewelry.net/Giveaways.html

4 comments:

♥ KNITTING ART said...

Very nice creations you have my friend!
Started to follow you, take care :>)

Anonymous said...

Great feature- beautiful jewelry :)
thanks for sharing!

jacjewelry said...

Thank you, Ruth, for this wonderful feature! :)

Candice said...

ooohhhh, so nice!